Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Primitive Chair

I found this sweet little chair at an estate sale for $10 this winter. The caned seat had been long gone, but I loved the detail on the back.



I had wanted to try my hand at white washing and this chair was perfect because the wood was super dry. I mixed up a concoction of white paint and water and went to town. I tried using a wet cloth to wipe off the paint, but found that too much came off, so I just put it on with a chip brush and left it. I ended up with this:
(This picture is not supposed to be turned this way...but wanted to show you all the detail)
I liked it, but didn't love it.


Enter my ever-loving father-in-law. He is the true handy man behind some of my projects. I technically could cut templates for seats and use a saw, but with young kids around, I don't have time and don't totally trust myself with power tools. Plus, he says he loves to do it...so I let him :)

He cut a new seat for this chair...and went above and beyond what I thought he'd do...It couldn't be more perfect...cut-ins, a tapered seat...*sigh*...he's the best!




Now all I had to do was add a cushion and choose some fabric


And then glaze with ebony stain (which is now my new favorite glaze!)....









I can just see this next to a bed holding some books!
~Allison
Linkin' up!

Domestically Speaking

<br />http://www.thethriftyhome.com
Transformation Thursday

Beyond The Picket Fencegiveaways

Keeping It Simple

15 comments:

Jenn said...

I think the finish came out great! I love the paisley print too, very nice. Have a great day!

hilary@oldhousetruelove said...

i love it ...good work!

Tammy @ Type A said...

turned out awesome, way to transform this piece!! thanks for sharing this at my party!!!

Connie said...

Hi,
i found you from the follow along party and I am now following you! Please follow me too. Here is a link to my post with all my info. Thanks
http://measuredbytheheart.blogspot.com/2011/03/its-follow-along-party.html?m=0

Carrie @ Fine & Handy said...

Oh, I think it turned out adorable. I love the detail in the back of the chair. Fathers or Father-in-Laws are great. I Luckily used power tools growing up, so they don't scare me too much. I have my father to thank for that. Thank you for your kind words about my Sis. I am your newest follower. Have a great day!

fineandhandy.blogspot.com

Jane @ Jane's Junk and Treasures said...

LOVE IT!
I just found you from Shabby Chic link party!
I love that chair, I love the color!

I just became a follower!
Nice to meet you Allison!!

Christina said...

very very cute! I love that paint job!

Thanks so much for linking to "20 Below Thursday"! :)

Pam said...

Fantastic redo. Looks great. I love the curve in the front seat.
http://pam-lifethroughmyeyes.blogspot.com/

The Rusty Bucket said...

You did a fabulous job with the wash. It's definitely my fave go-to when I have rough, dry outside pieces to do. I need a father-in-law like him! I'm putting that on my next BF requirement list- must have fab Dad.
-Bethanie

Rebecca said...

Beautiful! I just love this chair and the coffee-table/bench! I have just started getting into furniture rehabs, but haven't gotten into washes and glazes yet. Dying to try, but must accumulate instructions!
Keep up the lovely work!

The Painted Parlor said...

Very cute! I found you through MMS, (she's well known enough to go by initials!). What is the ebony stain exactly? Is that the color of it? What brand, etc...? I've looked at your blog this morning, you have some cute stuff! Come visit mine if you'd like ;). paintedparlor.blogspot.com. Julie:)

Megan Gunyan said...

That's so beautiful! I love the ebony stain on it and the seat fabric is so lovely. Great job! Lucky to have a FIL that will help you like that! Love it all.

The Decorating Diaries said...

What a sweet chair. I love the white washing.

Janet

Tammy said...

Hey, That looks super! Good job! Your newest follower!

paperscissorsink said...

Love it! I picked up a desk with a free sign and I think I will try the whitewashing. Its nice wood and I want it to have a blue tint. I've never tried the white wash, what ratio of paint to water do you use?